Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Some Heroes Are Real.


Film: Drive
Year: 2011
Director: Nicolas Winding Refn
Written by: Hossein Amini
Starring: Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Bryan Cranston, Albert Brooks, Oscar Isaac, Christina Hendricks, Ron Perlman, Kaden Leos, Russ Tamblyn.
Running time: 100 min.


With a title like Drive, you'd instantly expect it to be filled with car chases which coincidentally have guns involved and then the cars explode and this is what we call entertainment. Some lady thought that and went as far as to sue the makers because it wasn't like Fast & Furious. She is silly. Drive is the kind of movie that happens slowly, yet realistically. You don't expect one person to possibly go through lots of car chases and explosions just because they're mildly talented at driving a car, right? No. Drive follows the unnamed Driver (Ryan Gosling), who is a Hollywood stunt driver by day, and moonlighting as a getaway driver for robberies by night. He falls for his neighbour, Irene (Carey Mulligan), who has a son and a husband in jail. Her husband, Standard (Oscar Isaac) gets out of jail, and it turns out that trouble has followed him so he asks the Driver to help him out with a routine robbery. As it goes wrong, the Driver discovers that there's a bag of money at stake and there are some gangsters after Irene and her son, who the Driver is keen to protect.




The pacing of Drive offers us a thorough look at the events that correlate to make this huge mess that the Driver finds himself in. That is the best asset of the film. It relies on the atmosphere more than the thrills and the stuff that is in your face, and asks you to realise the situation in real life rather than just a form of entertainment. From the very beginning, we are shown the Driver providing the getaway car for a robbery, and as the police chase him, he exudes calm. A calm which is both frightening and badass. As a man of very few words, the Driver is an excellent character, running rings around the usual men we see leading action films. Ryan Gosling plays against his usual charismatic persona, and, as per usual, he is amazing. He makes use of a virtually empty character and capitalises on that emptiness, instead of just being a hollow figure. The large majority of the success he has in his performance is either the fact that he is just staring, exuding calmness and emptiness, or being terrifying so he can get some answers out of people. And even then, he is still somewhat calm. In another actors hands, they could run the risk of either going over the top or have to replace themselves with a cardboard cut-out because that would do a better job than them. But with Gosling, everything is perfect, and nothing hurts.


The thing I loved the most about Drive, though, was the direction from Nicolas Winding Refn. Admittedly, I wasn't a fan of Bronson, but loved the work he did in that film. In Drive, though, he creates a heavily styled atmosphere with a brilliant soundtrack filled with 80s Pop to match. He uses slow-mo in some sequences to such a great effect that I overcame my problems with the device. He lingers on the characters to allow their emotions to be fully realised. He directs the car chase sequences with patience so we don't have to see it through lots of cuts. It is slick filmmaking, bringing American action to European arthouse and blending them in a way that too few films have achieved. On the whole, there is very little violence in this film, but when it does come, it is often unexpected and extremely graphic and unsettling. And what is even better? The lack of guns. There isn't much gun-fighting in this film...everything is done by human hands and the normal weapons they can get from anywhere (like a fork, or a hammer and nail), which makes everything more frightening. And, as for the elevator sequence...wow. Well done, Nicolas Winding Refn. If only he could get nominated for Best Director this year.


As for the acting, Gosling leads a great ensemble with some great performances across the board. It is an interestingly casted ensemble, too. On one end, we have British actress Carey Mulligan, who is perhaps best suited to playing intelligent yet naive girls from another era, playing the wife of a criminal and the mother of a young son. Then we have Albert Brooks, a comedian, playing a corrupt businessman. Christina Hendricks makes an appearance as Standard's partner in the big robbery who isn't all she seems, even though her claim to fame is for period drama Mad Men and supporting roles in comedies like Life as We Know It and I Don't Know How She Does It. We have Ron Perlman taking a break from straight-to-DVD schlock, Oscar Isaac adding another interesting choice to his rather scattered filmography, and Bryan Cranston providing his ever reliable support. On paper, this cast probably shouldn't work, but there are some pieces of inspired casting here, particularly Brooks as Bernie Rose. Mulligan is a surprise, too, even if she didn't have me completely sold as a mother, but she did have me sold on the loving glances directed towards Gosling.


Drive is a rare gem, going against convention to create something that convention could only dream of. I imagine that on repeat viewings this film will only get better. But for now, I just can't get over how shockingly violent it really was, even if there was little violence in the film. I've seen a lot of celluloid violence in my lifetime, but nothing that comes close to what Nicolas Winding Refn and his Drive has in store - in such a small amount of time.

What I got:

21 comments:

  1. I am very happy you finally got to see this film and love it as I do!!

    Nice review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for good in-flight entertainment! Haha.

      Delete
  2. Great review, did you see it recently? I agree, the best part for me, as well, was the direction of Nicholas Refn, I loved how he shot the scenes, the atmosphere, everything. I also agree on the violence part- it was only found at the end, but it was a little bit shocking, I admit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it on the plane when I went away! The violence at the end was really shocking, and I was halfway through eating a meal. Not my best moment!

      Delete
  3. Good review. A bit shorter than usual, yes?
    I'm glad you liked it, and I think it just gets better on subsequent viewings. Gosling and Brooks are on the top of their games in the film, and I really liked Mulligan too.
    Winding Refn really has made one helluva stylish film. NME was right- Drive is cooler than fuck! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little bit shorter...you're very observant :)
      And Drive is definitely cooler than fuck!

      Delete
  4. I feel a little bit guilty saying that Drive needed more driving. When the action comes it is tense and artfully done without shying away from the extreme violence, but that all starts to go away as soon as the characters start talking, or sighing and looking at each other. Nice review Stevee. I didn't love this but I at least liked what I saw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a bit more sighing and looking than I thought, but I didn't have much of a problem with it...thanks!

      Delete
  5. Nice one Stevee, I'm glad you finally got to see it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, nice read. It didn't occur to me that there actually was no gun firing.

    I guess I was more hooked onto figuring out the character. Haha. Have a look at my analysis of the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the large absence of guns...it was refreshing.

      I will do that :)

      Delete
  7. So you finally saw it...What sold the movie to me was Refn's Direction and Gosling and I am glad to see you approve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drive is a film I'm hoping to see on TV and I hope it gets a proper DVD release that does more than just give us little features. I'm in love with that film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I hope so too. Can't wait to see the blu-ray!

      Delete
  9. Glad you enjoyed it Stevee. It certainly has style, and is impeccably directed. It is ever better on a repeat viewing. Carey didn't really work for me, and Ron Perlman terribly overacted - but it's still one of the coolest films I saw last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a lot of Ron Perlman in the past year or so (how, I do not know) and this is one of his better performances. Trust me. And yes, it is cool!

      Delete
  10. It's a bit shocking that you only got to see this now Stevee ahah ;) Glad you liked it! The violence isn't that bad I thought. More over-the-top than gross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, if I hadn't gone on that plane I would have had to wait until March to see it - it is a R18 here :( So I was quite lucky. And the violence wasn't gross...it was just extremely unsettling!

      Delete
  11. I want to watch this film so bad

    ReplyDelete

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails