Friday, April 13, 2012

25 Moments of Cinematic Awesomeness

This post is inspired by something that Ruth posted earlier this week. What is cinematic awesomeness, you say? Well, Ruth derived the idea from something called a 'photogenie', which is a moment in a movie that you you love. You just love it, there's no way you can describe it. Therefore, it is a piece of cinematic awesomeness. I'm going to pick out my 20 favourites, for now, but I know that there are FAR more! (there may be some spoilers, so read with caution)


25. The final shot of The Ghost Writer

24. "Baby, you are going to miss that plane"
"I know" - Before Sunset (see the scene here)


23. Joey and Albert (Jeremy Irvine) reunite in War Horse - never before have I felt so many emotions exploding inside of me.


22. When Myra (Vivien Leigh) sees that Roy (Robert Taylor) is still alive - Waterloo Bridge


21. The unintelligible whisper from Bob (Bill Murray) to Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson) before they part ways - Lost in Translation


20. Carrie decides to get revenge...the EYES - Carrie


19. Melancholia comes, and everything falls into silence - Melancholia


18. The end of City Lights, particularly Charlie Chaplin's smile.


17. The ballet sequence in The Red Shoes


16. The finale of Take Shelter


15. The Farmer (Sam Sheppard) riding over the smouldering field to find Bill (Richard Gere) - Days of Heaven


14. The introduction to Romeo in Romeo + Juliet, which 'Talk Show Host' playing the background.

13. The pool scene in Let the Right One In


12. Wladyslaw Szpilman (Adrien Brody) walking away from the wreckage and his family in The Pianist

11. The lights go on, and Esther says "I can't believe it. Right here where we live - right here in St. Louis" - Meet Me in St. Louis


10. Head-stomping in the elevator - Drive


9. 'Who the fuck is Dodd?' - Memento


8. Expectations vs. Reality - (500) Days of Summer (the story of my life)

7. Sean (Justin Timberlake) betrays Mark (Jesse Eisenberg), and 'The Gentle Hum of Anxiety' plays in the background - The Social Network (that's one that I really can't describe in words, I just love how it is composed)


6. "Who wants to send a message to Germany?"
"I want to send a message to Germany. That you are all going to die." - Inglourious Basterds


5. The conversation scene in Hunger. 16.5 minutes of brilliance.


4. The end of Fight Club. Need I say more.


3. Lt. Gordon's (Gary Oldman) speech at the end of The Dark Knight, which plays over Batman riding off into the distance.


2. Oskar Schindler (Liam Neeson) navigating the nightclub to find the who's who of rich people in Schindler's List


1. The nightclub scene in Black Swan. So. Many. Cuts!


What are your favourite moments of cinematic awesomeness?

19 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I've been working on something like this for a while, think your post (and Ruth's) will be the push to finally finish my post. Although I could probably fit 50 in, let alone 25.

    Fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, I could do over 50, but I chose to restrain myself!

      Delete
  2. Wow. Some of my own favourites there. God the Adrien Brody one- why it is my favourite performance ever.
    But then I love the Chaplin smile and the inaudible whisper and Julie Delpy and Expectations vs Reality and the Drivers madness!! And all of Fight Club is a moment of awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrien Brody was BRILLIANT in The Pianist. Anyone who says that he didn't deserve his Oscar should go and suck a lemon.

      Delete
  3. Oh god, I remember the pool scene from Let The Right One In. Had one of those "I fear to watch, yet cannot turn away" moments! Love your list!!!
    Gary Oldman makes nearly any moment awesome!
    Is that image you've got accompanying Take Shelter a gif or cinematograph? It's really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a gif, I think. I dunno, I took it from someone who took it from someone else ;)

      Delete
  4. Love you list! I agree with so many of these, that scene you picked from The Pianist was the strongest one in the entire film. I can't even describe the emotions I felt while watching that.

    Now I want to make one of these! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was crying so much! And you definitely should make one of these, it is fun!

      Delete
  5. Awesome List. I love that you have a lot of great movies from every decade. Some movies I need to see and some I need to see again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing list, I love almost all of it (not all because I haven't seen everything). You touched my heart with 24 and 5, but I also really like 19,16,14,10,8

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great list. The #1 pick is a real surprise. I also love 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, & 21. They're perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list Stevee. So many great scenes in cinematic history so that's definitely tough to pare it down to a measly 25. And I love that animated GIF for Take Shelter ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really hard - this is just the first 25 of many! And yes, it is really cool.

      Delete
  9. Great list! Love the final bit of Ghost Writer. For a second I thought you said Ghost Rider. :0

    Pool scene from Let The Right One In is great as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I asked my Dad about it and he's like "what, Ghost Rider?"

      Delete
  10. Great list. I especially love that animated GIF of Take Shelter. Such an amazing movie.

    ReplyDelete

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails